|Pajama/ Santa themed race???|
I've had this thought many times before about marking the holidays with a run like they do at Thanksgiving with their Turkey Trots. The trigger for it this time came from Runner's World magazine. I was skimming the pages of my freshly delivered January 2013 issue while waiting for my wife to get ready for our Capitola dinner date last Friday night and stumbled upon page 104. Brazen Racing's New Year's Day 5k, 10k & Half Marathon was being promoted by the articles author Nicole Falcone. I did a double take and thought "Merry Christmas to Brazen!" That got me going and the next thing you know I'm doing an Internet search for holiday runs in the Bay Area. Here's a slice of that.
- Brazen actually has 2 races to ring in the New Year.
- Brazen's New Years Eve - 12/29 - Half Marathon, 10k, 5k - Lake Chabot- Two days before New Years so you can still go out and celebrate New Years Eve.
- Brazen's New Years Day - 1/1 - Half Marathon, 10k, 5k - Lake Chabot- Those running both race's (any combination of distances) will be eligible to receive a third medal. With the third medal and your other two medals, you will form the "mega-medal"!
- 12/16 - Jingle Run - Los Altos - The Jingle Run is a benefit for the Hope's Corner charity in Mountain View. They will be hosting an event to benefit the families they serve on December 22nd. This includes providing a Christmas gift for each child. Please bring a toy with you for a child in need on race day.
- 12/16 - Santa Skivvies Run - San Francisco - Drop your trou and help raise funds to support the free and local services of San Francisco AIDS Foundation!
- 12/16 - Santa Run Silicon Valley - San Jose - Join us on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 4:00PM for the Santa Run Silicon Valley, a new tradition in San Jose benefiting our favorite holiday traditions; Christmas in the Park and Downtown Ice.
- 12/30 - Pre-Resolution Party 5k - San Francisco - Get inspiration along a scenic, Golden Gate Park route, and jot down your most amazing resolution on our board at the finish line. This time, we’ll have awards for the most creative resolutions, along with raffle winners and the top 5 M/F finishers. All finishers who are 21+ earn ribbons and mimosas!
- 12/31 - 2nd Annual Bay Area Resolution Run - San Rafael - Leave last year’s regrets behind on your way out. On your way back think of next years resolutions. After all, a year that literally begins running can only go well.
- 12/31 - New Year's One Day (6h, 12h, 24h) - San Francisco - Each lap is 1.061 miles around the lagoon at Crissy Field with spectacular views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Angel Island, Alcatraz and the San Francisco Bay. Welcome the new year at Crissy Field, run from 2012 through to 2013 surrounded by the beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the coastline. You might even get to see the fireworks!
- 1/1 - 18th Annual Los Gatos Resolution Run - Los Gatos - The five-mile run takes participants from the Los Gatos High School track out to Lexington Dam and back, and is the perfect way to start a year of personal fitness success. Staying accountable to one's self in such matters isn't always easy, but this event allows for a support group of sorts, being family friendly—it even includes a kids race for those runners under the age of 13.
I think I will run Brazen's New Years Eve run but not the New Year's Day run even though a mega medal sounds kind of cool. Who knows, this may become a tradition every year. Sounds like fun to me.
See you in the woods,